Wednesday, March 9, 2016

FAMILY IT! — Wednesday Family Devotional — “Fierce Pursuit”

It's amazing how many different groups we associate ourselves with throughout our lives.  Some are just clubs or groups we’re a part of, but others become so important that they can shape our identity.  We name ourselves by these groups: I am a ____________.  Let me elaborate.

It starts with your family.  You’re a (insert last name here).  I was born a Fredrickson.  Having that name shaped who I was.  Now, I’m an Orwig.  I’m a part of the Orwig family, the one that lives in my house as well as the larger family group.  Of course, I’m still a Fredrickson.  Even though I don’t carry that name any more, I will probably identify with that group as well for the rest of my life.  I was also born an Iowan.  I wore that badge with pride and took great offense at the Iowa jokes my Minnesotan relatives loved to tell.

As I grew, several other categories shaped me.  In high school I was a Marching Lion.  It wasn’t just something I did, it was who I was.  It determined who I hung out, how I spent my time, and what became my priorities.  Then I went to college and was formed by my new titles: Monmouth Scot and Kappa Delta. Today, my group names include wife, mom, homeschooler, and PoC’er.  While I belong to many other clubs and organizations, these are really the ones that influence who I am, my identity.

When we align ourselves with a name, it not only shapes how we see ourselves, it also influences what’s important to us.  For years, I really didn’t care who the governor of Illinois was.  Now that I’m an Illinoisan, I care very deeply.  We celebrate with our group when we have victories, and we cry together when there are struggles.  It’s part of group life.

What are your “labels”?  What groups or titles have shaped who you are, either now or in the past?  Remember these aren’t just clubs you’re a part of; they are those things that influence your identity.

One of the names that may have come up is “Christian.”  This label can mean different things to different people.  When it was first introduced, it was used as a put-down, to insult those who followed the teachings of Jesus.  Since then it has been embraced by generations of believers over two thousand years.  But what does it mean to have that label?  Certainly, it shapes who we are.  We don’t just go to church or recognize that there is a God.  We choose to pattern our lives after Jesus’ life.  We make Him the center of everything we do.  As such, we celebrate when Christ’s cause has a victory.  But we also suffer through the struggles of living like Jesus.  

Peter addresses that very idea.  In 1 Peter 4:16, he writes, “However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name.”  Sometimes we may be hesitant to wear the name “Christian.”  It’s not a popular name in our culture, or even the world.  It brings insults, sacrifice, dirty looks, and judgmentalism at times.  I’m so glad Peter reminds us that we don’t need to be ashamed, that we should be praising God that we can be called Christians.

Does your family claim the name Christian?  Does it shape who you are as a family?  If so, how?  Talk about how your beliefs are shaping your family.  What are you doing differently because you’re Christians.

If not, what’s holding you back?  Talk about these things as a family.  Are you willing to take that step and claim your faith?  


End your time together praising God for sending his Son so that we would all have the chance to be Christians.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!