Friday, June 3, 2016

Living on Mission – Thirst Things First

Living on Mission – Thirst Things First

“O God, you are my God; I earnestly search for you. My soul thirsts for you; my whole body longs for you in this parched and weary land where there is no water. I have seen you in your sanctuary and gazed upon your power and glory. Your unfailing love is better than life itself; how I praise you! I will praise you as long as I live, lifting up my hands to you in prayer. You satisfy me more than the richest feast. I will praise you with songs of joy. I lie awake thinking of you, meditating on you through the night. Because you are my helper, I sing for joy in the shadow of your wings. I cling to you; your right hand holds me securely.” (Psalms 63:1-8)

I love this Psalm; it reflects my heart and communicates feelings I experience often. How about you? Have you ever been so desperate for God that you search for ways to express your longings to Him? Have you ever cried out a Psalm as a prayer? Have the words ever resonated so strongly that you feel like you could have written them yourself?

What if you’re not that thirsty? (Oh boy have I been there…) What if longing is not really how you would describe your feelings? What if you’re more desperate for daily Starbucks (or Diet Coke) than for Daily Presence with Jesus?

The answer is near the end of the passage and let me tell you, it is really good news! He is our helper. He creates longing in us. (All we have to do is ask!) And even when we think we’re the ones clinging to Him, He’s actually the One holding us.

Mission flows naturally out of our relationship with Jesus; and He’ll even help us thirst for, long for, and desire just that. So, let’s practice Living on Mission and keep Thirst Things First!


Pastor Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!