Monday, December 4, 2017

READ IT! - Introduction to Psalms 55-61


Readings for this week

Monday: Psalm 55
Tuesday: Psalm 56
Wednesday: Psalm 57
Thursday: Psalm 58
Friday: Psalm 59
Saturday: Psalm 60
Sunday: Psalm 61


Introduction to Psalms 55-61

Psalm 55

David says, “Give ear to my prayer, O God. My heart is in anguish. It is my equal, my friend who rises against me! Cast your burden on the LORD.” We don’t know what friend David is referring to here.

Psalm 56

This Davidic psalm begins with a note for “the director of music” that it is to be sung to the tune of a popular song at the time called “A Dove on Distant Oaks.” The context of the psalm is also given – that it’s from or about that time when David was on the run from Saul and the Philistines had seized him in Gath.

David says, “Be gracious to me, O God, for my enemies trample on me. Are my tears not in your wineskin? In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust.”

This image seems to reflect the practice in the arid climate of Israel of preserving precious liquids in a leak-proof leather bag. The image of saving tears is powerful; David’s tears of lament were precious to God.

Psalm 57

This Davidic psalm begins with a note for “the director of music” that it is to be sung to the tune of a popular song at the time called “Do Not Destroy.” The context of the psalm is also given – that it’s from or about that time when David had fled from Saul into the cave.

David says, “Be merciful to me, O God. I am in the midst of lions. My heart is steadfast, for great is your love. Be exalted above the heavens!”

Psalm 58

This Davidic psalm begins with a note for “the director of music” that it is to be sung to the tune of a popular song at the time called “Do Not Destroy.” This is just like the previous song, but unlike the previous song, the context is not provided.

David says, “Do you rulers judge justly? No, you mete out violence. O God, break their teeth! The righteous will rejoice when they see vengeance.”

The picture of splashing joyfully about in an enemy’s blood is a traditional Biblical image – borrowed from ancient Near Eastern literature – for victory over an enemy.

Psalm 59

Just like the last two psalms, this Davidic psalm begins with a note for “the director of music” that it is to be sung to the tune of a popular song at the time called “Do Not Destroy.” The context of the psalm is also given – that it’s from or about that time when Saul had sent men to watch David’s house in order to kill him.

David says, “Deliver me from my enemies, O God. Each evening they return, howling like dogs. Destroy them in wrath! You, O God, are my fortress.”

Psalm 60

This Davidic psalm begins with a note for “the director of music” that it is a “teaching” psalm that was to be sung to the tune of a popular song at the time called “The Lily of the Covenant.” The context of the psalm is also given – that it’s from or about that time when David fought Aram Naharaim and Aram Zobah, and when Joab returned and struck down twelve thousand Edomites in the Valley of Salt.

David says, “O God, you have rejected us, broken us. Now restore us! God has promised: ‘Gilead is mine, and Manasseh is mine; Ephraim is my helmet, Judah is my scepter.’ O grant us help against the enemy!”

Half of Manasseh was established in Gilead, east of the Jordan, and half of it west of the Jordan, just north of Ephraim. This once again evidenced that the Lord’s kingdom included territory on both sides of the river. Ephraim and Judah were the two leading tribes of Israel, the one representative of the Rachel tribes (Ephraim) in the north and the other of the Leah tribes in the south. Together they represented all Israel.

Psalm 61

The note at the beginning of this Davidic psalm states that it is to be played with “stringed instruments.”

David says, “From the ends of the earth I call to you. Hear my cry, O God! Lead me to the rock that is higher than I. Prolong the life of the king. So I will ever sing praise to your name.”

The phrase “ends of the earth” as used here may refer to the brink of the netherworld – the grave.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!