Monday, September 3, 2018

READ IT! - Introduction to Psalms 116-121


Readings for this week

Monday: Psalm 116
Tuesday: Psalm 117
Wednesday: Psalm 118
Thursday: Psalm 119:1-56
Friday: Psalm 119:57-176
Saturday: Psalm 120
Sunday: Psalm 121

Introduction to Psalms 116-121

Psalm 116 

The psalmist says, “I love the LORD, for he heard my cry. When I was brought low, he saved me. What can I give for all his goodness? I will keep my vows.”

Psalm 116 is without a title in the Hebrew. The psalm was translated into the Greek Septuagint (about 250BC) in Hellenistic Egypt. There is a presence of Aramaisms in the psalm which has been interpreted by a few as evidence of a late date, though this is not definitive. The psalm draws heavily from other psalms.

Some have applied this psalm to the distresses of the Jews in the times of the Maccabees under Antiochus IV Epiphanes while a few others ascribe it to Hezekiah’s sickness recorded in Isaiah 38

However, many commentators today ascribe it to King David. If David were the author, it is not certain whether it was composed upon any particular occasion, or upon a general review of the many gracious deliverances God had wrought for him, out of six troubles and seven. The Syriac Church believes it was written on the occasion of Saul coming to the cave where David was hiding. 

Psalm 117 

With just two verses and sixteen words in Hebrew, psalm 117 is the shortest of all 150 psalms. In this psalm, the Gentiles are invited to join in praise of God. Christians view this as a fulfillment of God's promise of mercy to the gentiles, pointing to God's promise that all nations would be blessed in the seed of Abraham, who is Christ. The psalmist says, “Praise the LORD! For great is his love towards us.” 

Psalm 118 

This psalm’s themes are thanksgiving to God and reliance on God rather than on human strength. The writer says, “Give thanks to the LORD; for his love endures forever! The nations surrounded me; I cut them off! The LORD has become my salvation.” 

Psalm 119 

Psalm 119 is the longest psalm in the Book of Psalms. It is also the longest chapter in the entire Bible. Psalm 119 is an acrostic poem divided into sections based on the Hebrew alphabet. Each section begins with the successive letters of the Hebrew alphabet, beginning with the letter “Aleph” and ending with the letter “Taw.”

The psalmist writes, “Blessed are those who walk in the law of the LORD. Teach me your decrees. I love your commands. Deliver me according to your promise.” 


Psalm 120 

This is known as "a song of ascents" which refers to it being ritually sung by the people as they ascended Mount Zion (Jerusalem) to offer sacrifices at the holy site

T
he anonymous writer says, "In my distress I cry to the LORD. Deliver me from a deceitful tongue. Woe to me! Too long have I lived among those who hate peace."

Psalm 121 


T
he anonymous writer of this psalm of ascents says, "I lift up my eyes to the hills; my help comes from the LORD. He who keeps you will not slumber. The LORD will keep you from all evil."






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!