Thursday, March 12, 2015

PRAY IT! UP NOW SON - Romans 10:1-17

Confession:  It takes me a good week to adjust to the time change.  Despite my best efforts, attempts to get extra sleep, prayers to be delightful and lovely, and starting my morning with my Folgers Lively Colombian and God, I walk around a bit more tired, a bit more zombie-like, and a bit more cranky the whole week, wishing everyone I encountered were a venti non-fat white mocha from Starbucks instead of a person (and trying to refrain from disappointment when they're not... ha.)

I don't want to get up.  I don't want to get out of bed.  I don't want to start my day knowing that it'll be go-go-go at work until bedtime, whenever that is.  I'm tired before my foot hits the floor.  Waaaaah. 

Alas, not getting up is just not an option.  I have to get up. 

Jesus did it.  Lazarus did it.  I suppose we can do it too!

We're kicking off a four week sermon series this Sunday called "Up Now Son".  And, looking to Jesus, we will see why, as Christians, we have to "get up," just as He did.

This week's passage is Romans 10:1-17. 

Simply:  Salvation is for all. 

If that's not a message worth rising up for, well, I don't know what is...

When our motivations align with God's (verse 1) and we walk in the confidence of His promise that salvation is for everyone (verse 13) then how can we not "get up" and do as described in verses 14-17:  be the beautiful hands and feet who were sent, to preach, so that everyone hears about Jesus, so that they can believe, and call upon Him?! 

As Christians... we can't just stay in bed... and be cranky... because we've experienced something so phenomenal... we MUST get up.  Just as my coffee is "beckoning me," so too is the life-changing love of Christ.

So... in light of this passage, how do we "pray it?"  Over the next four weeks, in the "PRAY IT" blog, we're going to spend some time savoring Ephesians 6:10-18, which, in my opinion, illustrates another fine example of how we, as praying Christians, are to get up.  If you've got time, and managed to read this far, well, I've included the passage for your viewing pleasure:

10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. 14 Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. 16 In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; 17 and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, 18 praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, 19 and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak.

Now, that's a hefty several sentences.  But picture this:  we need to put on our whole armor of God to stand... withstand... stand firm... so that we can pray.  We don't equip ourselves from head to toe with all that wonderful stuff (including the helmet of salvation) to then sit back down again, on the couch, lazily, as though we've had enough.  No no!  That would be dumb!  We're equipped to stand firm against something... and equipped to stand firmly for something!  To sit back down would be like dribbling a basketball almost all the way down the court only to stop just short of making a basket.  And then deciding to curl up in a fetal position and nap right there on the court.  (How do you think that would go over with the coach?  Well... how do you think it will go over with God?) 

You don't go through most of the effort and then just fall asleep.  You see it all the way through!  It's the same in this passage - we dress ourselves in all our Father gave us - from truth to righteousness, from faith to salvation - and then we pray.  At all times.  For everybody. 

That is how we should pray in light of this passage!

Victoriously!

Don't pray without your armor.  Don't don your armor and then forget to pray.

Salvation is for everyone. 

Dear Jesus,
Thank you for loving me (and everyone) so much that you died on the cross for me (and everyone).  Thank you that you offer a love for everyone rather than just a few.  Thank you for the people in my life who were obediently and lovingly standing with you, being your hands and feet, so that I would hear about you and experience you.  Thank you for that moment in time in which I said "yes" to you and you drew me close to you.  Thank you for how you've been drawing me close to you since.  Please help me put on the whole armor of God everyday, praying for more opportunities to be Jesus to others, and to tell them about you.  Please continue to provide more of those moments in my day-to-day life.  Show me.  I will obey! 
Amen.

Continue to Seek God for the City - 2015!  Today we are praying for single people (thank you!) and for God to grant repentance from our violent ways, as well as for the following African countries:  Mayotte, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of Congo, Reunion. 

See you tonight at GetWarmer 6-8pm!!!

Pastor Celia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!