Thursday, April 21, 2016

PRAY IT! Street Hero - John 2:1-12

Picture this:

You've come to save the world.  That's not a small mission.

Yet, you find yourself at a wedding whose hosts of run out of wine.

It would be easy to bypass the small need in favor of the greater one.

You've come to save the world, after all.

Why bother with a wedding?  Why bother with the wine?  I mean, they should have planned better.  Plus, you can't be bothered with this mundane task.  I mean, yes, you could take care of it.  You are the Son of God, after all.  But... you're preoccupied with lofty thoughts of world-saving.  Let someone else go take care of this wine issue.  Why stop to help an individual.  You've got all of humanity to attend to.  Call Hy-Vee... maybe they'll deliver.

As we read in John 2:1-12, that's not how the story goes.

Jesus meets the need.  Right where he is.  For those who have the need. 

As Christians, how faithful are we with the small things God has entrusted to us?  Do we see them as opportunities?  Or do we see them as inconveniences to bypass in order to get to some "bigger" thing?

I remember the first time I expressed a need/prayer request to someone and they offered to pray with me then and there.  My grandma was dying.  I was at the nursing home.  I didn't know Pastor Todd or Kim as well as I do now.  I also hadn't really weighed in on this whole God thing.  It was around Pastor Todd's birthday.  I didn't want to be a bother and interrupt it (foolish Celia!).  So I called Pastor Scott Sherwood.  I might have actually texted him asking for prayer and then he called me.  I explained what was going on and asked for prayer.  I anticipated a "sure, I'll be praying."  Instead, I was met with Prayer-On-The-Spot.  It took me by surprise.  It caught me off guard.  (You wanna what...???  You wanna pray for me about this like... right now?  What kind of weird pastor are you?)  But it was powerful, memorable, wonderful, and so much appreciated.  He met me at my point of need.  And I didn't even hardly want to admit I had one.

As children of God, we pray.  It's true.  Prayer is something everyone should partake in.  Perhaps what we learn about the character of Jesus in this passage can also inform how we pray. 

The next time someone asks you for prayer, meet them at their point of need.  On-the-spot.  Offer to pray with them there, in the moment, and see what happens. 

The next time someone tells you about a struggle or concern they have, offer prayer.  See if they are open to have you pray with them there.  On-the-spot.  In the moment. 

In public?  Yes.
In the moment?  Yes.
Even people who love Jesus will object to that.  It will make them uncomfortable... I'll be uncomfortable!  Maybe. 

Perhaps people aren't as opposed to it as we sometimes tell ourselves they will be. 

Perhaps there is a greater, supernatural wisdom at work when we are faithful with the "seemingly" smaller things. 

Here are some additional passages to reflect on as you pray and offer the help and hope of Jesus this week, on-the-spot, at someone's point of need.

1 Kings 8:27-30 (MSG)

Can it be that God will actually move into our neighborhood? Why, the cosmos itself isn’t large enough to give you breathing room, let alone this Temple I’ve built. Even so, I’m bold to ask: Pay attention to these my prayers, both intercessory and personal, O God, my God. Listen to my prayers, energetic and devout, that I’m setting before you right now. Keep your eyes open to this Temple night and day, this place of which you said, “My Name will be honored there,” and listen to the prayers that I pray at this place.  Listen from your home in heaven and when you hear, forgive.


Luke 16:9-11 (NLT)

Here’s the lesson: Use your worldly resources to benefit others and make friends. Then, when your possessions are gone, they will welcome you to an eternal home.
 “If you are faithful in little things, you will be faithful in large ones. But if you are dishonest in little things, you won’t be honest with greater responsibilities.  And if you are untrustworthy about worldly wealth, who will trust you with the true riches of heaven?

Pastor Celia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!