Monday, July 24, 2017

READ IT! - Introduction to Psalms 13-19


Readings for this week:

Monday: Psalm 13
Tuesday: Psalm 14
Wednesday: Psalm 15
Thursday: Psalm 16
Friday: Psalm 17
Saturday: Psalm 18
Sunday: Psalm 19


Introduction to Psalms 13-19
  
Psalm 13

David says, “How long, O LORD? Will you forget me forever? Look on me and answer! Give light to my eyes. But I will trust in your unfailing love.”

Psalm 14

David says, “The fool says in his heart, ‘There is no God.’ There is no one who does good. Will evildoers never learn? God is with the righteous.”

Psalm 15

David says, “LORD, who may dwell in your sanctuary? He whose walk is blameless, who does not slander, who keeps his oath even when it hurts.”

Psalm 16

This is a “miktam” of David. We don’t know what “miktam” means but it’s a word that’s only ever used to introduce Davidic psalms of lament. He says, “Protect me, O God! I have no good besides you. The LORD is my portion. I will not be shaken. In your presence is fullness of joy!”

Psalm 17

This psalm is introduced as a prayer of David. He says, “Hear a just cause, O LORD. My steps have held to your paths. Hide me in the shadow of your wings. Deliver my life from the wicked.”

Psalm 18

This psalm contains a note to the music director which states that the words of this psalm of David come from a time when “the Lord delivered him from the hand of all his enemies” … specifically Saul. David appears to have borrowed this song from a Canaanite song about Baal the storm god… though David’s version which worships the true God is better than the original. He said, “The LORD is my rock. I called and he thundered from heaven. He rescued me from my enemy. I will praise you among the nations, O LORD!”

Psalm 19

David says, “The heavens declare the glory of God. The law of the LORD is perfect, making wise the simple. May my words be pleasing to you, O LORD.”






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!