Monday, July 31, 2017

READ IT! - Introduction to Psalms 20-26


Readings for this week

Monday: Psalm 20
Tuesday: Psalm 21
Wednesday: Psalm 22
Thursday: Psalm 23
Friday: Psalm 24
Saturday: Psalm 25
Sunday: Psalm 26

Introduction to Psalms 20-26

Psalm 20

This is a Davidic psalm in which the writers says, “May the LORD answer you in the day of trouble! May he remember your offerings. The LORD saves his anointed. We rise up and stand firm!” This psalm was concerned with the king’s military activities and most likely functioned as a pledge of loyalty by the army to its ruler before a military campaign.

Psalm 21

This is a Davidic psalm in which the writer says, “O LORD, the king rejoices in your strength! You set a crown upon his head. You will destroy your enemies. We will praise your power!” The “crown of pure gold” was the ceremonially emblem of royalty – possibly the captured crown of a defeated king. An example of this is seen in 2nd Samuel when David conquers the Amorite king and takes his crown.

Psalm 22

This is a Davidic psalm which is known in ancient Jewish culture as “The Death Psalm.” It contains a note at the beginning for “the director of music” in which the writer states that this song is to be sung to the tune of another well-known song at the time called “The Doe of the Morning.” The writer says, “My God, why have you forsaken me? I am despised. They have pierced my hands. You have answered me! The nations will worship the LORD!”

When Jesus was dying on the cross, he quoted from this Death Psalm. It was the wish of every practicing Jew at the time to be reciting Psalm 22 when they died. The New Testament writers saw this psalm as prophecy that Jesus fulfilled in his death. The psalm ends with the words, “It is finished!”

Psalm 23

This is a Davidic psalm, which says, “The LORD is my shepherd… He leads me in paths of righteousness... I will fear no evil... I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.”

Sometimes we tend to misinterpret this psalm and others that talk about God’s blessings. The truth is that God does not promise to give us everything we want or even need all at once. But he does promise to walk with us and guide us one step at a time, giving us just enough for each moment.

This psalm was written by a desert shepherd living in danger. In his words, we see that we are the sheep and God is the shepherd leading us through the desert. The "green pastures" that God leads us to are not fields of "belly deep alfalfa" as we often imagine as westerners, but rather little tufts of grass scattered here and there, teaching us that we need to rely on God at all times for everything. Because God is the only one who can lead us safely though the desert. With him we can “walk through the valley of the shadow of death” and “fear no evil, for you are with me.”

Psalm 24

This is a Davidic psalm in which the writer says, “The earth is the LORD's! He who has a pure heart will receive blessing. Lift up your heads, O gates! The King of glory shall come in.”

Psalm 25

This is a Davidic psalm in which the writer says, “To you, O LORD, I lift up my soul. Show me your ways, teach me your paths. Be gracious to me, forgive my sins. I take refuge in you.” This psalm is an acrostic poem, each verse beginning with the successive letters of the Hebrew alphabet

Psalm 26

This is a Davidic psalm in which the writer says, “Vindicate me, O LORD, for I have walked with integrity. I do not sit with deceitful men. I love the place where your glory dwells.”







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!