Monday, August 7, 2017

READ IT! - Introduction to Psalms 27-33

Readings for this week:

Monday: Psalm 27
Tuesday: Psalm 28
Wednesday: Psalm 29
Thursday: Psalm 30
Friday: Psalm 31
Saturday: Psalm 32
Sunday: Psalm 33

Introduction to Psalms 27-33

Psalm 27

This is a Davidic psalm in which the writer says, “The LORD is my light and my salvation. My heart will not fear. I will seek your face, O LORD; do not forsake me! Wait for the LORD.”

Psalm 28

This is a Davidic psalm in which the writer says, “To you I cry, O LORD my rock. Repay the wicked according to their works! The LORD is my shield. He is the strength of his people.”

Psalm 29

This is a Davidic psalm in which the writer says, “Ascribe to the LORD glory! The voice of the LORD is over the waters. The voice of the LORD shakes the wilderness. The LORD is king!” This hymn to YHWH served as a testimony and protest against the worship of the Canaanite god Baal, who was thought to have been the divine power present in the thunderstorms.

Psalm 30

This is a Davidic psalm which was written for the dedication of the temple, which was built after the death of David by his son Solomon. The writer says, “I will exalt you, O LORD, for you spared me from going down to the pit. I cried to you for mercy. You turned my mourning into dancing.”

Psalm 31

This is a Davidic psalm which contains a note at the beginning saying it is for the director of music. The psalmist says, “In you, O LORD, I seek refuge. Into your hand I commit my spirit. Deliver me from my enemies. Praise the LORD for his steadfast love!” The psalmist uses a picture of a besieged city to describe

Psalm 32

This is a “maskil” of David, which is possibly a musical term for a contemplative psalm perhaps intended for a more mature audience. David says, “Blessed are those whose sins are forgiven. When I kept silent, my bones wasted away. You surround me with glad cries of deliverance!”

Psalm 33

This psalm was written by an anonymous author, who says, “Rejoice in the LORD! Make melody, play skillfully. Let all the earth fear the LORD. His eye is on those who hope in his steadfast love.”






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!