Thursday, June 26, 2014

PRAY IT! Abraham's Heart for a City

Genesis 18 is one of many examples throughout Scripture that shows us a roadmap of how to intercede (or simply, to pray on behalf of others).  In verse 23, we read about how Abraham "drew near" to God.  This is priority number one!  John 15 confirms the power and necessity of abiding in God.  Read it here:  John 15 (ESV)

In Genesis 18:27, we can get an idea of step two.  Abraham says, "Behold, I have undertaken to speak to the Lord, I who am but dust and ashes."  Abraham opens his mouth and talks to God.  (Sounds simple, but how many times do we try everything else first, and go to God last?)  Abraham does not let his humanness and inability to fix Sodom and Gomorrah on his own deter him from coming to the Lord in prayer.  Abraham speaks to God anyway.  He prays anyway.

Is it really that simple?  There have been days, where if I had been Abraham, I would have been wanting to pray for myself.  "God... when are you going to make good on your promise to me?  I do not care about Sodom and Gomorrah."  Then there are days where I certainly do not want to pray for _________.  But then God checks me.  (Dang, that abiding!)  _______ needs someone to pray on their behalf just as much as anyone else.  How could I not want _______ to be drawn close to God and blessed by God, when that is what God wants?  There is nothing wrong with praying for ourselves.  However, there is great, humbling power in praying for others. 

In My Utmost for His Highest, Oswald Chambers proposed that "The real business of your life as a saved soul is intercessory prayer.  Wherever God puts you in circumstances, pray immediately, pray that His Atonement may be realized in other lives as it has been in yours.  Pray for your friends, now; pray for those with whom you come in contact now." 

It is sobering to read Scripture where an intercessor is being looked for, but not found.  In Ezekiel 22:30 it says, "I looked for someone among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it, but I found no one."  In Isaiah 59:16 it says, "He saw that there was no one, he was appalled that there was no one to intervene..."  PoC, our family, friends, and community need us to stand in the gap, roll up our shirt sleeves, and pray for them.

So what does this look like, practically?  Consider this: 

Instead of... flipping off the man who cut you off in traffic, pray on his behalf.
Instead of... judging the girl in the skimpy shirt, pray on her behalf.
Instead of... hating your co-worker who tried to ruin your reputation with gossip, pray on her behalf.
Instead of... waging yet another war with your mother-in-law, pray on her behalf.
Instead of... criticizing your community for making that decision, pray on their behalf.
Instead of... shaking your head at the leadership of a different country, pray on their behalf.

The person you prayed for may not have anyone else in their lives praying for them.  If not you, then who?

In sum:

Abide.  We do not generate the Godly compassion on our own to spend serious time in prayer on behalf of others.

Pray.  Just do it.  "I am weak but He is strong..." 

Dear Jesus,
Thank you for loving my city and everyone in it.  Bless my city with an outpouring of Your love and kindness that leads everyone to see Your goodness and turn toward You. 
Amen.

Join us for prayer service, 7pm, tonight!

Pastor Celia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!