Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Recreational Discipleship


Dear PoC Family,

Doing discipleship the wrong way is . . . EXHAUSTING!  And I’ve been tired for decades! 

There was a gentleman at one of the churches where I worked who would pop in from time to time to see me during the week.  I first met him when he was lurking around the perimeters of an outreach event we had while he was waiting for his wife and kids to return to the car so they could go home.  It was clear he was very unsure about “church” and didn’t want to be approached.  I should say that it was probably “more clear” to others, but I have never been the sharpest knife in the drawer.  Plus, I was up for the challenge.  By the time he began to surprise me with unplanned visits in my office, we had talked about 6-7 times and I could tell that the Lord was working on him.  Each interaction was very short and it was hard to gain much ground.

Typically, I’d be working hard trying to get projects done when my receptionist would come in or buzz me to say that he was here to see me . . . again.  I didn’t mind meeting with him at all, but it was almost always while I was busy.  The thing that bothered me the most was that it was taking forever.  It was grueling.  I really wanted him to give his heart to the Lord, but it just wasn’t happening as I would have liked.  It was as if we were trying to have this highly relational moment without much of a relationship at all.  Weeks and weeks, months and months went by, with only the smallest baby steps.  Plus, I could tell that he wasn’t having much fun either.  He was miserable.  I was miserable.  It felt so forced, so unnatural.  So sterile and cold.  I’d push.  He’d pull.  I’d press.  He’d run.  I’d go for gold.  He’d change the subject.  Honestly, by the time he finally gave his life to Jesus Christ, I was exhausted.  So was he.

Discipleship is intended to be this beautiful and highly relational “on the way” relationship that is hard to duplicate in our modern church culture where the most popular understanding is I’m too busy for you and you’re too busy for me, so we best get this done in the next 5 minutes.  It felt odd, because it was odd.  It felt frustrating because I tried to regulate and schedule this high-touch activity with minimal time and minimal touch.  Discipleship is messy, but my whole ministry was so baby-proofed that there wasn’t room or time for messes.

I look back on it now and think, “Man, that was SO not the right way to disciple someone!”  While I’m THRILLED that he became a Christian, that he still loves the Lord today, I can’t help but think that the entire process could have been so much more enjoyable and purposive if I had just recreated with this man to the point that “on the way” discipleship could take place naturally.  I think it would have been more enjoyable.  I think his conversion would have been quicker and with less resistance.  I think it would have been more consequential for both of us.  I think that it would have been a better reflection and representation of Jesus’ method of discipling.  Plus, my guess is that it would probably still be taking place today, but without “relationship”, it felt “done” at conversion.  So so so so NOT the way to disciple.

My family and I went to watch the PoC Softball team play tonight.  It was a great game.  While I was there recreating with family and friends and having a great time, I got to enjoy and be totally refreshed by some “on the way” discipling.  I got to joke with one couple who is having typical young relationship struggles, which ended with me gently encouraging the young man to “step it up”.  I got to walk with a dear friend for a bit to hear what Jesus is saying to him.  I got to get an update from another blessed friend who told me how God is blessing.  I got to pull a gentleman aside and encourage him to keep walking humbly.  I got to cheer on the team and enjoy some fantastic plays.  In the parking lot, a couple called me over to ask a question about the park.  My friend and I talked to them and found out they just moved into the area.  The lady is from Puerto Rico, like me.  We got to invite them to PoC.  It was great.  It was fun.  It was, dare I say, rejuvenating.  It just felt right.  Even this morning as I was at the gym I met and got to talk to a guy about the Lord.  It was easy.  It was nice.  It was energizing and I’ll see him again Wednesday.  We have an appointment to recreate again.

This week at PoC we’re going to talk about the 6th Holy Currency that God has given us so that we can recirculate all of His blessings to all of our brothers and sisters (lost and found).  This week’s currency:  Recreate, takes place when we take time to rest, play, create, and restore beauty in ways that reflect God to others. 

By the way, you’ve never seen anything quite like what we have planned for this Sunday’s service!!!  It’s going to be a very very very fun type of recreating with the PoC family.  Don’t even think about missing it because it’s going to be EPIC!!!!  Thinking of inviting fun-loving friends?  This is the week to do it.

Your Pastors Are Praying For You,

Pastor Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!