Thursday, September 25, 2014

PRAY IT! Genesis 39:20-41:1

As we continue on in Joseph's story, he is in prison for something he did not do.  And although he helps the cupbearer, the cupbearer seemingly forgets about Joseph.  The one rather simple request Joseph made of the cupbearer in Genesis 40:14 "...remember me..." seems to go unheeded.  As if Joseph needed one more disappointment...

Joseph could have held a pity party.
Joseph could have reserved the right to be indignant and bitter.
Joseph could have stopped functioning altogether, boycotting life.

Yet, Joseph remained focused on God and continued to receive success and blessing, even in the midst of crappy circumstances. 

How can this passage inform our prayer life?

Reflect on Joseph's circumstances and his response.  How does it compare to your typical response when you feel abandoned?  Or when you feel wrongly accused?  Or when you feel unrewarded for good behavior or choosing the "right path"?  Or when you feel imprisoned by a situation?  Or when you are forgotten?  Or when the "one thing" that you asked of someone seems to be too much and disappointment sets in?  Do you find yourself trusting God, like Joseph, or determinedly hunkering down in the chair of pity/bitterness/indignation/resignation?

Ugh.

I've thrown the pity party.  I've boarded the bitter bus.  I've hidden under the blanket. 

The party wasn't fun.  The bus didn't go anywhere.  The blanket didn't provide any lasting comfort.

Honestly, in a weak moment, I want to roll my eyes at Joseph.  Of course, Joseph keeps focused on God and God keeps working things out for his good.  He is like the poster boy for how to react when life gets tough... and then tougher...

Yet... Joseph is on to something.  It is much more productive and much more peaceful to stay focused on God.  Blessing is better than my bad attitude.  It is true.  And it's not that complicated.

We are not alone.  We all experience various imprisonments and abandonments.  We can recognize that whatever it is we are going through is unpleasant, but still choose to remain focused on God.  Spend some time in prayer praising God for His steadfastness, and recount times He has come through for you.  Thank Him for his trustworthiness.  Ask for His help in areas where you need His strength to help you trust more.

Psalm 56:1-4

Be gracious to me, O God, for man tramples on me;
    all day long an attacker oppresses me;
my enemies trample on me all day long,
    for many attack me proudly.
When I am afraid,
    I put my trust in you.
In God, whose word I praise,
    in God I trust; I shall not be afraid.
    What can flesh do to me?

Dear Jesus,
Please help me to trust you.  Please help this to be my automatic first response, rather than ______ (whatever your typical response has been).  Please help me have a faithful outlook, as I keep my eyes on You, and let my attitudes and actions be dictated not by circumstances, but by my faithful God.
Amen.

The PoC Prayer Service is tonight, 7pm.  Hope to see you there!  And Sunday!  We love you, PoC!

Pastor Celia

***Get excited:  next week's prayer blog will be brought to you by our guest blogger/PoC summer intern/ONU student... "live " from Japan... the awesome Rev. Julie Shreves!!!  It will be like a hello from "the future"... (because of the time difference... haha... I'm corny and I don't care!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!