Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Can I Show You Something? -- A Letter from Pastor Todd

Dear Hard-Working PoC,
Years ago I worked for Benson Music Group in Nashville, TN.  One of my tasks was to relieve our company’s switchboard operator, Andrea, for an hour while she took her lunch.  It was an easy task because nobody really calls during lunchtime.  Most of the time I would just help Andrea with some of her other tasks, like mailing out thousands of envelopes to our distributors.  This was before the days of fancy-schmancy mail machines, and I dreaded the task.  It seemed to take forever.  But, all of that changed one day when Andrea came back from lunch only to see that I really hadn’t gotten much done.  I apologized and said, “I’m just not very fast at this.  Sorry.”  She then said five beautiful words that would change my whole working experience.  She asked, “Can I Show You Something?”
What Andrea showed me was a crazy cool time-saving set of tips that not only made the envelope stuffing fast, but quite enjoyable.  She showed me how to squeeze the envelopes out of the box so they didn’t fly all over the place.  She showed me how to “flap” the envelopes, which was so much fun.  Then she showed me how to lift and stuff in such a quick motion that I kinda felt like “the Flash”.  It was cool.  She and I together could bust through 1000 envelopes (stuffed, sealed, stamped, and sent) quicker than anyone.  Yes, sometimes we would race others.  A task that I LOATHED became one of my favorite things to do.  Working the way Andrea worked added joy to my work.  
Quite a few of you are already responding to this three-week sermon series about WORK.  Last week I busted out some ancient philosophy to explain our faulty western view of work.  I explained a few things:
  1. There is nothing in reality that is not spiritual.  Your work is a sacred space that God has given you.  There isn’t a higher (sacred) and lower (secular) realm of work.  It’s all sacred.  It is all for God’s glory.  It all requires revelation.  
  2. Your work is a HIGH CALLING.
  3. Your work IS NOT a 2nd class endeavor.
I know it is often a silly habit we have to moan and groan, dread or complain about our work or certain tasks we are given.  So, this week we’re going to look at God, at the way He works.  As our Father, Savior, Guide, and Model, I think we can look to Him and His work-habits to see if there is anything we can learn about how to tackle unpleasant tasks and jobs.  I want you to go ahead and prepare your hearts to respond to the Holy Spirit as He asks you this Sunday, “Can I Show You Something?”  I believe He wants to change the way we work.  I believe He wants to add Joy To The Work!
I can’t wait to see you this Sunday.  Invite like mad!  
Pastor Todd


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!