Friday, April 10, 2015

Living on Mission and Remembering

Living on Mission and Remembering

Oh how easily we forget. Or is it just me? No, I don’t think so. I think we’re all forgetters sometimes.

Our passage this week opens up with, “I don’t want you to forget, dear brothers and sisters, about our ancestors in the wilderness long ago.” (1 Corinthians 10:1) Why shouldn’t we forget?

History has shown that people are creatures of repeating patterns. If we think specifically about the children of Israel, we can clearly see that they worshipped God then turned and worshipped idols, then repented and worshipped God again only to revert back to worshipping idols. Sigh. This makes me sad.

And then I think of my own life.

I have personally experienced these repeating patterns of bad decisions, bad behavior, repentance and worship, bad decisions, bad behavior, repentance and worship… repeat ad nauseam. (The good news is that we have an event called Encounter@PoC that helped me break this destructive cycle!)

We are so much more likely to repeat bad behavior if we forget where we have been and what we have experienced in the past. We’re also much more likely to worship when we remember how (and from what) God delivered us in the past.

Let’s practice Living on Mission and remember our history. We can avoid repeating bad decisions and bad behavior that keeps us from fulfilling our call, and return to worshipping the God who faithfully delivers us every time we turn to Him.


Pastor Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!