Thursday, November 5, 2015

pray it! gentle in our time - ephesians 4:1-16

Can you picture yourself being joyful in long-suffering patience with others?
It takes daily presence.

Why look to Paul?  Did he have to be patient like we have to be patient?

Why yes, I think he did.  Maybe even more-so.

I present to you, Patient Paul:

Paul, travels by boat, not by plane.  Paul, communicates by letter, not by phone or internet.

Paul, a prisoner.
Paul, shipwrecked.
Paul, stoned.
Paul, adrift at sea.
Paul, beaten with rods.
Paul, tormented by Jews.
Paul, tormented by Gentiles.
Paul, in chains, longing for his fellow Christian friends.
Paul, longing for the return of Jesus.

Paul encourages us in Romans 12:12 "Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer."

I don't think it's a smorgasbord.  I don't think it's a buffet.  I don't think we get to pick and choose. 

Yes, I'll hopefully rejoice, Paul, but I ain't gonna be patient in the struggle.  Yeah, Paul, I'm busy today, I think I'll pass on the prayer, but I guess I could try to be patient.  Fine Paul, I'll pray all the time, but I'm not gonna be hopeful...

It all works together - all of it necessary ingredients in the recipe of gentleness.

To be gentle in our time is to be joyful.  To be gentle in our time is to be patient.  To be gentle in our time is to be prayerful.  It all takes the presence of the Lord in our lives. 

Psalm 16:11  "You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore."

John 15:4a, 11  "Abide in me, and I in you... These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full."

Hope.  Joy.  Patience.  Prayer.  Abiding. 

Let's target our constant prayer to be in tandem with hope and with patience.  And as we rest - truly rest - in the Lord's presence (which is where we find FULLNESS OF JOY!!!) let us let that permeate all of our being as we rejoice, as we wait and are patient, and as we are constant in prayer.

Reminder:  No formal PoC|Coverage tonight!  Enjoy your time with the Lord.

Pastor Celia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!