Thursday, November 26, 2015

pray it! gentle in our time - ephesians 6:1-9

Question:  What are some hang-ups or hold-ups you have when it comes to prayer?

Confession:  Okay, I'll answer my own question.  Sometimes I am fearful to be vulnerable in prayer and talk to God about what I'm really thinking, feeling, needing, or wanting because once it's out there... once it's out of my mouth... I can't take it back.  And the "what-if's" of the vulnerable begin to flutter about my head, whispering doubt and panic, either in myself or in my (more than capable) God.  What if God thinks my request is stupid?  What if God doesn't answer my prayer like I want Him to?  Or in the time frame I want?  What if I don't like that?  What does that say about me?  Or what does that say about God? 

If I am vulnerable in prayer, it's like I have tossed the ball into God's court.  I have surrendered control and have bounced this trust to God, hoping he will respond and bounce something back.  I have to trust and wait. 

This week's "pray it" challenge is to be vulnerable in prayer as we continue to ask the Lord to make us gentle in our homes, in our world, and in our time. 

Vulnerable - some synonyms include helpless, defenseless, powerless, impotent, weak, and susceptible. 

Sign.  Me.  Up.  [Insert sarcasm here.]

This is so counter-intuitive and counter-cultural.  Yet, that's kind of how things are with Jesus.  So, we're on the right track.  Fruit is different than Fruit of the Spirit.  Likewise, vulnerability with God is different than the world's vulnerability. 

What if in positioning ourselves in this transparent dependence let's God power and strength (which far exceeds mine) shine through in the most effectively way? 

1 Corinthians 1:24-25 But to those called by God to salvation, both Jews and Gentiles, Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God. This foolish plan of God is wiser than the wisest of human plans, and God’s weakness is stronger than the greatest of human strength.  (NLT)

If we are to truly be gentle in our time, gentle in our homes... gentle in our work places... gentle at school... gentle in our world... gentle wherever God has placed us and in whatever season... we need to be willing to entertain the notion of being vulnerable with each other, and forever letting people know where our true power and strength comes from (God!).  It is going to be challenging to do that if we are not first vulnerable with God and in our prayer life.

Let's pray it, vulnerably!

No PoC|Coverage tonight - Happy Thanksgiving!  Praying for you all and so thankful for you as we get to walk with God and each other.  We truly are blessed.  Love you all.

Pastor Celia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!