Tuesday, December 15, 2015

PoC's Great, Great Experiment: Giving the Great, Great Gift of Gentleness in Our Time


Matthew 11:28-30 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
Have you ever gone through a season in your life where you wonder, “Will I ever feel rested again?”  Life keeps pulling at you from every direction.  Your “to do” list is never complete, but it seems for every task you finish, two more items are added.  You are probably more stressed than you realize, trying not to worry about things like money and how the bills are going to be paid, how will relationships be mended, or how will an on-going problem be solved.  Trying to get through each day, you find yourself pushing through, wondering when this season will transition to the next…it has to get better, right?
If you’re like me and find yourself in this kind of season of life, maybe the gentlest thing you can do on Sunday, December 20, is to be gentle to yourself.  My plan for Sunday?  I am going to sleep in and stay home all day.  I am going to stay in my jammies as long as I like, drink more than one cup of coffee (that’s usually all I have time for), watch a couple of Hallmark Christmas Movies, and just take the day off.  It will be hard not to pick up a school book and read or sit down at the computer to finish some pending assignment, but if I give in to the temptation, it will be because I want to, not because I have to.
So as you are planning for Sunday, maybe you too should block off some time to be gentle to yourself and just “be” for a while – after all, God created human “be”-ings, not human “do”-ings!
Blessings,
Pastor Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!