Friday, May 1, 2015

Living on Mission and Finding What We Really Need

Living on Mission and Finding What We Really Need

“These things happened as a warning to us, so that we would not crave evil things as they did, or worship idols as some of them did. As the Scriptures say, “The people celebrated with feasting and drinking, and they indulged in pagan revelry. And we must not engage in sexual immorality as some of them did, causing 23,000 of them to die in one day.” (1 Corinthians 10:6-8)

Question: Name two things that idols, pagan revelry, and sexual immorality have in common.
Answer: 1. People throughout history have attempted to find satisfaction, fulfillment, and answers in them.  2. They are harmful, damaging, and empty.

We have a natural tendency to find something to meet our needs and desires. People all over the world and in every stage of life have very real needs and are desperately searching to find something to meet them. The problem is that we often want something tangible – something we can see, hear, or touch. This is why we so often fail to turn to God and turn to other things instead.  Here’s some of the logic:
·      Idols: “I can’t see God, I want to worship something I can see.”
·      Pagan revelry: “I just want to party with my friends. It feels great to just let loose and forget all my troubles.”
·      Sexual immorality: “I know that God loves me, but I need someone to put their arms around me.”

The hard lesson we need to learn is that there is no real satisfaction without God. Psalm 63 is one of my favorites, check out verse 5: “You satisfy me more than the richest feast...” Proverbs 3:1-2 says, “…Store my commands in your heart. If you do this your life will be satisfying.” Matthew 5:6 “God blesses those who hunger and thirst for justice, for they will be satisfied.” 

Idols cannot answer our prayers or the deep desires of our hearts. Partying with friends may bring momentary relief from anxieties, piles of bills, and the weight of responsibilities – but they all return when the party’s over. Sexual immorality may be pleasurable for a season, but the consequences are most often devastating.

I’ll say it again. There is no real satisfaction without God.

Let’s practice Living on Mission and find what we really need in the only place it truly exists: in the gracious, loving arms of our Father God.

Pastor Angela


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!