Thursday, May 28, 2015

PRAY IT! B|Neighbors

Galatians 2:20 states, "I have been crucified with Christ.  It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me.  And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." 

These are the words of Paul found in his letter to the Galatians.  These are the words of the same Paul who, in Acts 9, was described as "still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord..."

Except he was not the same. 

Saul, who made quite a career out of persecuting Christians, had an encounter with Jesus that left him so very changed.  More than just his name changed - his entire life changed.  The Saul who persecuted was now the Paul who "preached boldly in the name of Jesus."  The Saul who had Christ-follower Ananias tell the Lord "Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much evil he has done to your saints at Jerusalem" was now the Paul who would eventually write Romans, where in chapter 16, he spends verses 1-16 requesting that a various assortment of near and dear brothers and sisters in Christ be greeted.  Tormenter Saul was now Paul who loved people. 

Paul was transformed. 

When we truly encounter Jesus, we are changed.  If we let Jesus transform us, daily, then His purposes become our purposes.  His priorities become our priorities.  His prayers become our prayers.  His mission becomes our mission. 

Just like Jesus, our lives must actually intersect with the lives of our neighbors...of people... rather than simply run parallel to them.

Hope.  Transformation. 

Can you see it?

In your own life?
In your family?
In your neighborhood?

Speaking of neighborhoods... in 2014, there was a combined total of 3,133 reported crimes (ranging from battery to burglary to sexual assault to arson) in Bloomington-Normal.

Bullying... hunger... homelessness... poverty... neglect... abuse... none of these issues are so unique that they do not exist here in central Illinois. 

As we begin this new sermon series, and kick off our summer campaign where we B|Neighbors, we need to acknowledge two facts that coexist and have to intersect for change.

1.)  Jesus transforms.  Jesus neighbors.  Therefore, we transform and neighbor through Jesus.
2.)  Our neighbors need "neighboring."

As we pray and prepare our hearts for Sunday, how then should we pray?  Pray that we ourselves encounter Jesus daily, and that through Him, we neighbor differently, and we neighbor better.

Dear Jesus,
Please continue to transform me as we meet together daily.  Please open my eyes, my ears, and my heart to the needs around me.  Help me to neighbor differently.  Help me to neighbor better.  Help me to neighbor like you.  Please help me to live a life that intersects with people rather than simply runs parallel to them.
Amen.

PoC|Coverage is tonight at 6pm.  Consider joining us "on the frontlines" as we pray and care for our church, community, and world.

Pastor Celia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!