Thursday, August 28, 2014

PRAY IT! - Boy King

Have you ever been side-tracked?  Have you ever spent (dare I say, "wasted") your time in hot pursuit of something, trying to get back what you thought was lost, taken from, or owed to you?  Something society told you was normal and that you should have?  I have. 

When I graduated high school, I went away to college for a year.  Then, due to some circumstances outside my control, my school plans were derailed.  Long story, short, I eventually returned to school, partly in search of a "college experience" I felt I never received, but believed was due me.  I mistakenly thought reclaiming this experience would somehow fill the missing piece of me that would restore my happiness and make everything right in my world.  Though I was unconvinced of this at the time, this could only be taken care of by an all-sufficient, all-loving, all-satisfying God.

I remember sitting in my dorm room, and I had a thought sort of "pop" into my mind that felt different from the normal 24/7 commentary that is typically racing through my head.  There had to be more than this.  Something had to change.  At that point, I began a rather long process of searching out God and surrendering to Him.  If Scripture indicated I would find Him if I searched for Him, then I would humor this God-Whose-Existence-I-Questioned and see if He would make good on this promise.  I mistakenly thought I was the originator of this thought, this effort, this search...

Deuteronomy 31:8 says "It is the LORD who goes before you.  He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you.  Do not fear or be dismayed."  Indeed, on the other side of that surrender to God, I began to see that what I had originally attributed to me was actually GOD.  God's grace came before me in the form of that prompting "thought", just as it had come in so many other ways before that:  in experiences and through other obedient, loving people (Kim Keller! - but that's another story...!)

On Sunday we were introduced to the story of Josiah found in 2 Kings, and we learned about the impact God's grace had in his life.  Pastor Todd asked, "Why was Josiah good?"  Simply, because of God and His grace.  Just like Josiah, the good in us is from God.  We are not good on our own. 

My pride had to decrease and my relationship with God had to exist and grow in order for me to humbly see that it was God and his grace reaching out to me.  It is God who is good in me.

John 15 is a wonderful passage where Jesus talks about the importance of abiding (or spending time) with Him.  He is very clear in John 15:5 "I am the vine; you are the branches.  Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing."

Just like society would have me believe a "normal" college experience would satisfy me, society would also have me believe in and rely on my own independence to get things done.  But I have to humbly accept that the good in me comes from God.  I need Him.  I am not the vine.  I am the branch.

And then there is that one word:  Nothing.

That word just strikes a chord with me.

Nothing.

Jesus does not say, apart from me you can do a little bit.

Nothing.

I have come to believe in God... to be dependent on the Holy Spirit... to love Jesus so much... Nothing just won't cut it.  Nothing isn't "good enough."  Nothing won't satisfy me, nothing is not acceptable when it comes to other people knowing we have an amazing God and experiencing first hand His love for us... nothing won't get anything of eternal value accomplished. 

Here is where we take it to prayer.  Humor me and ponder these questions:

1.)  Think back on your story.  In what ways, through what people, and what circumstances was God reaching out to you with His grace to draw you to a relationship with Him?  Praise Him for that now.

2.)  Reflect on your current story.  In what ways might God be utilizing you as a form of His grace to draw others to a relationship with Him?  Are you letting Him accomplish this through you?  Or are you stubbornly trying to accomplish things apart from God?  Pray for continued opportunities to be used by Him to love on others and draw them to Him.

Dear God,
Thank you for your grace that sought me out and drew me close to you.  Thank you for how you were moving in my life even before I was aware of You and how much You cared for me.  Help me to be aware of how you might be trying to use me, or other situations you may use to help draw other people in my life closer to you.  Help me to be obedient to what you want me to say, do, and be, in order that I can be Your change-agent here on earth, impacting others for You.  Amen.

PoC Prayer Service is tonight at 7pm.  See you there!

Blessings,
Pastor Celia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!