Friday, October 3, 2014

Living on Mission with Joseph Giving Glory to God Alone



Living on Mission with Joseph Giving Glory to God Alone


We know that Joseph has not had it easy up to this point in his life. If we just hit the lowest of the low points we find that: he was hated by his brothers, sold as a slave, falsely accused and thrown into prison. This guy could easily have boarded the "bitter bus" and given up completely on God. But he didn't.


He remained faithful. And, he consistently directed glory to God.


Remember when the cupbearer and baker had dreams? Joseph said to them, “Do not interpretations belong to God? Please tell them to me.” Interpreting dreams was a big deal! How many of us would have turned this ability into a home (or prison) based business? I might have put up flyers with my face labeled “Dream Interpreter.” But not Joseph. He didn’t get all puffed up and strut around like a peacock saying “look how great I am. I can interpret the dreams of famous people.”


Joseph acknowledged – even in front of Pharaoh – that this ability came straight from God. Pharaoh showed us last week what happened to people when he was angry with them. The baker lost his life over something that displeased Pharaoh. (He probably burned the croissants… I hate it when that happens.) This was an ominous threat hanging over his head, but Joseph repeatedly told Pharaoh that God had been gracious to him and that in these dreams God had revealed to Pharaoh what was going to happen.


Even when he had been elevated to the second highest position in all of Egypt, Joseph continued to give glory to God. He named his children Manasseh and Ephraim – names that mean “God has made me forget all my hardship and all my father's house.” and, “For God has made me fruitful in the land of my affliction.


Let’s practice living on mission and give all of the glory to God alone.

Pastor Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!