Thursday, October 30, 2014

PRAY IT! Genesis 43: 15-34

As we continue to follow along in the story of Joseph, we read about how the brothers have seemingly stopped dragging their feet, and are returning once again to Egypt, this time with Benjamin.  And gifts.  And money. 

Joseph’s brothers did not know how they would be received once they reached Egypt.  (Have you ever had to show up somewhere, not knowing how you would be received?  Awkward.  Kinda makes your stomach churn.)  Uncertainty loomed up ahead.  Of course, they would probably like to prove they were not spies, ransom Simeon, and buy more food to feed their hungry bellies.  But, would that happen?
As we reflect on how this passage can inform our prayers, it would behoove us to consider how we respond when faced with uncertainty or guilt.  Fear would have us react as the brothers did.  Joseph’s brothers were preparing for the worst.  I don't know about you, but I can definitely relate.  They took gifts and double the money with them in preparation for the accusations that could come (verse 15). 
Joseph’s brothers were anticipating the worst.  When they were unexpectedly brought to Joseph’s house, they assumed it was because of the money, and they were afraid.  They anticipated they would be assaulted, made to be servants, and that their donkeys would be stolen (see verse 18). 
It is also safe to conclude they had some guilt from doing “the worst” when looking back to Genesis 42:21.  “Now we’re paying for what we did to our brother – we saw how terrified he was when he was begging us for mercy.  We wouldn’t listen to him and now we’re the ones in trouble.”  Is responding to fear in thought and action God's plan for us?
Scripture suggests we respond a bit more confidently than that.  It has little to do with us, and everything to do with God and His grace.

Psalm 34:4:  I sought the LORD, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.
Ephesians 1:7  In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace.
Dear Jesus,
Please help me identify current situations of uncertainty in which I am responding by anticipating and preparing for the worst.  Please help me trade in this fear for your grace.  Please help me identify times in which guilt re-appears over past sins that you have forgiven.  Remind me that I am forgiven and free.  Thank you for delivering me from all my fears.  Help me continue to exchange my fear for your grace.
Amen.
 
Join us tonight, at 7pm, for the PoC Prayer Service, where we will spend time seeking the LORD and exchanging our fear for His grace.

Pastor Celia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!