Friday, July 4, 2014

Maintain Love for Your City - A Letter from Pastor Todd

Dear PoC,

How well do you maintain love for your city?  I’m sure we all enjoy little flourishes of compassion now and again, but how consistently are you able to maintain a heart for the boys, girls, men and women in Bloomington/Normal and the surrounding area?  From time to time I hear things that shock me as people tell me about how they occasionally harbor ill-will against drivers, fellow employees/bosses, government workers, store clerks, etc.  They share thoughts and feelings that, while honest, aren’t very kind.  The thing that shocks me isn’t their words, it’s that I know they are good people, with kind hearts, who have joined in many efforts to love our city.  They simply need . . . to maintain that love through a close walk with Jesus, our Lord.  The closer we get to Jesus our Love, the more we are filled with His love for others.

It’s a common problem.  There are a lot of Christians who walk around completely oblivious to the fact that their “check engine” light is on.  In Luke 9, James and John remember a time when Isaiah called down fire on some resisters.  So, when the city of Samaria refuses to let Jesus and His disciples pass through on their way to Jerusalem, James and John show some ugly shades of bad attitude and resentment in their heart by asking, “Should we call fire down on Samaria?”  Jesus, of course, replies, “Um . . . no . . . not today . . . not any day . . . no need for fire balls, James and John . . . but, you might want to check your attitude, your heart . . . your check heart light is on, Buddies!”

I was sitting with an elderly man who was in his 90s once.  He was a decades-old believer and he and I were talking about the state of the world.  He said, “Oh, Todd, I just keep hoping and praying that Jesus returns soon so that this old world can get what’s comin’ to ‘em.”  I just nodded in agreement, just sure that every word that came out of his mouth would be dripping with wisdom, but then thought, “Wait!  What?  No.”  I laughed and said, “Do you really mean that?  Do you really hope that people in the world, ‘get what’s comin’ to ‘em’?”  He paused and thought, then said, “Well, I suppose that doesn’t sound very nice, does it?”  No . . . no, it doesn’t.  Maintenance needed.  It can sneak up on even the most saintly God-lover.

This Sunday we’re going to look closer at this story . . . forgive those who have hurt us . . . ask God to help us show kindness . . . ask the Lord to remove any wickedness in us . . . request that the Lord checks all of the systems of our heart, soul, mind, and strength so that we can maintain a Spirit-filled love for our city.

You All Rock!!!!!  Invite like crazy!  See you there!!

Pastor Todd


P.S.  Thank you for loving your city today by passing out 3500 bottles of water.  That was fun!  Loved serving with you!  Let’s keep it up.  It just feels right, doesn’t it?

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed your thoughts on loving our city and the people around us. I consider myself a pretty nice and pleasant person but as soon as I get into a car drivers better get out of my way. I all of a sudden become so competitive. So thank you for that reminder. Every single person on this earth is a child of God and should be treated as such. Thank you again. A friend of mine recently wrote an article on kindness and how it would solve many things. I thought that you would enjoy it, let me know what you think.
    http://www.reallifeanswers.org/love-and-relationships/is-kindness-for-everyone-a-possibility/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!