Thursday, July 10, 2014

PRAY IT! Maintain Love for the City

In Luke 9 we read about how James and John pass judgment on a Samaritan village that rejected Jesus.  Maybe they were trying to be helpful to Jesus and show their support by coming to his defense in a round-a-bout way, but Jesus responded by correcting his disciples' behavior rather than joining in on wishing ill against the town.

As prayer warriors, the best thing we can do is keep our eyes focused on Christ, remembering his commandment:  "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you."  John 15:12 (ESV).  Praying for others is loving others.

Our enemy is not going to want us to spend time with God, especially in prayer for others!!!  It is not out of the realm of possibility that he is going to try to distract us and convince us that we do not love and/or need to prayer for those who reject God, and that our time would be better spent either ignoring them, or judging and ridiculing them.

Feel a lack of compassion for those in your city?  Feel unattached to them?  Feel like doing anything else (like cleaning or laundry) rather than praying for them?  I hypothesize that the solution is the same as the struggle:  pray anyway!  Keep praying.  Push through, and climb over that wall and as you pray God will catapult you to a new level of compassion for all people. 

Jesus,
I choose to bless and have hope for my city.  Change my heart and fill it with compassion for the lost and broken.  Help me to see people the way You see them.  Lead me and use me.
Amen.

Join us for prayer service, tonight, at 7pm.  We'd love to have you.

Pastor Celia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!