Tuesday, August 25, 2015

EXPLORE IT - Romans 7:18-20


Romans 7:18-20  I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. {18 Or my flesh} For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.  19 For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do-- this I keep on doing.  20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
In our culture today, we often describe individuals as “a good person.”  They may not be Christians, but they are kind and caring and seem to be “good.”  These good people may be involved in other faiths or may be active in community services or charities.  It is sometimes a challenge for us to support the knowledge that being “a good person” is not enough to go to heaven.
In our Romans passage this week, Paul would disagree with the premise that any of us are inherently good.  According to Paul, we may desire to be good, we may desire to do good, but none of has the capacity to be good on our own because of our sinful nature.  Sin is so powerful within us, we are unable to do the good we desire.  We may be doing “good,” but have alternative motives.  We may be doing good things for the accolades or recognition from others instead of from a foundation of love.
Love is one of the fruits of the Spirit listed in Galatians 5:22-23, (“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control”).  In order to gain love, we must have the Spirit.  In order to have the Spirit, we must have Jesus.  Sin will rule our life unless we have Jesus.  We must accept Jesus as Lord of our life and build a relationship with Him in order to truly become “a good person.”  Without Him, we have no capacity for good.
If you haven’t asked Jesus into your heart as Lord or if you aren’t intentionally building a relationship with Him, why not start today?  God doesn’t want any of us to die without Him, but He desires that we would all repent and come to Him (2 Peter 3:9). 
Blessings,
Pastor Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!