Thursday, August 13, 2015

PRAY IT! Bye Bye Nasty...get gone (Romans 7:7-12)

I saw some ducks get run over by an ice-truck with double tires this morning.  It was ugly.  It was terrible.  I wanted to cry.  Sorry to lead with that, but it seemed fitting as we prepare for our new dual-sermon series:  Bye Bye Nasty and Jesus Move.  Sin isn't cute.  It doesn't just hurt us a little.  It takes us out.  It plows us over.  It yields a whole lotta ugly.  When we sin, something dies, and that just ain't fun...

Consider this (from my NIV study Bible notes):

"Sin is real, and it is dangerous.  Imagine a sunny day at the beach.  You plunge into the surf; then you notice a sign on the pier:  'No swimming.  Sharks in water.'  Your day is ruined.  Is it the sign's fault.  Are you angry with the people who put it up?  The law is like the sign.  It is essential, and we are grateful for it - but it doesn't get rid of the sharks." 

The law doesn't save us.  Jesus does.  We cannot simply will ourselves to "be better".  We need Jesus' help.

One of my favorite things about Romans is the repetition.  Paul quite often repeats verse 7:  "What shall we say, then?"

My question for this round of the prayer blog is as follows:  What shall we pray, then?


So... let me get my Paul on, here: 

What shall we pray, then?
That we remain in God's presence in order to overcome sin.  Apart from Jesus, we can do nothing. 

"I am the vine; you are the braches.  If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. (John 15:5)

How shall we pray, then?
Boldly and desperately.  Remember, we are praying to the One who can do something about our struggles! 
"What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death?  Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord! " (Romans 7:24-25)

Dear Jesus,
Help me remain in You.  With your power, please help deliver me and rescue me.
Amen.

Join us tonight for PoC|Coverage at 6pm!

Pastor Celia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!