Thursday, November 13, 2014

It's Family Reunion Time - A Letter from Pastor Todd

Dear PoC,
Have you ever been to an awkward family reunion?  
I . . . have!  
And, I would love to tell you about them (believe me!), but…my family and extended family read my blogs and I love them all too much-ish to call them out.  ☺  Of course, you all know me and know that I (the sweet little totes adorb’ pastor that I am) would NEVER-EVER be the source of said drama.  But, believe me when I say that I have witnessed or heard about many of the typical awkward phenomena that family reunions are known for, like . . .
  • The kissing aunt that won’t take no for an answer . . . or a tic tac . . .
  • The comments of “Boy, your wife sure must be feeding you goooood . . .” (Really?!??!!?)
  • The quiet that commences every time the “black sheep” walks in the room . . . (Baaaaah!)
  • The habitually late family that makes everyone wait . . . (you know who you are!)
  • The bathroom hog that seems to forget that there are 27 others who have to share that room…
  • The guy that no one quite remembers how they are related or why they are always invited…
  • The new girlfriend or boyfriend that was prematurely invited to the reunion and even (gasp) the family picture. (You know we’ll be photo-shopping you out of the picture in a couple of weeks, right?  Just like all – the – others before you.)
  • The girl who forgets that “you can’t say that in front of our kids”.  (Yes, that’s inappropriate!  Here, let me make you a list of things not to say.  Nope, that’s a cuss word too.  Seriously, honey, stick to the list.)
  • The “one-upper” who is better than everyone at everything or has experienced more than you or is a “self-proclaimed” genius (which supposedly explains their baffling lack of social skills)…
  • The hyper-conservative uncle who blames everything on Obama, including the lumpy potatoes and all things that actually predate Obama, Obama’s Mama, and Obama’s Mama’s Mama.  “You’re not seriously suggesting that Obama actually caused the Civil War, are you?!?”
  • The “I’m smarter than all of my coworkers . . . and the government . . . and my pastors . . . and the general public . . . and all the doctors . . . and all of you who have the pleasure of hearing me mumble right now . . . and did you know that there are aliens coming for us . . . that’s why I have 458 weapons buried in my back yard . . . won’t you join me . . . pass the pie.”
  • The “over-laugher” who’s only sad purpose is to break the tension caused by everyone else on this list, simply by holding her sides and laughing so uncomfortably that people begin to back away . . . slowly.
  • The Aunt . . . with the Cockatoo . . . with the eye patch . . . that eats people food . . . at the kid’s table . . .  and says, “Please don’t die!” every time someone sneezes . . .
  • The crazy cousin who keeps disciplining your kids, right in front of you and then begins to tell you about the miracle that is . . . Tofurkey! (FYI, it’s a portmanteau of blended tofu and turkey.)(yes, I said portmanteau . . . I know some stuff!)
  • Or . . . the uncle who gave you, your kids and all the cousins their “first drink”!!!!!!!  Adorable!
  • And then there is the guy who will do just about anything to get out of the house to run an errand for anyone.  (It’s usually me!)  “What’s that?  Your back itches?  They sell backscratchers at the mall, right?  I’m gone!” or “What’s that?  There’s a traffic accident on I-70 with 57 cars backed up?  Sounds like they need help over there!  Bye now!”
Remind me why we have family reunions again?  ☺
It’s true that it can be awkward sometimes, but in our imaginations, there is a wonderfully stubborn battleship-clad hope for familial bliss and harmony that compels us to give it a go again and again.  Isn’t it cute how hard we try?  And, praise God, for He is good enough to give those rare moments when it just seems to work.  Yeah, Family!  
Ya know, most people fall into one of two camps . . . they either look forward to the reunion with blind hope OR dread the very thought with blind despair.  (Which one are you?)  This week we get to watch the family reunion of Jacob, Joseph, His brothers . . . and the rest of the Hee Haw Gang!!  They are making their way to Egypt, and some are squeal-fully excited, while others are asking to stop at every single rest-area along the way simply to . . . delay . . . the . . . inevitable.  (“No seriously, I gotta pee!  Pull over”.)
But Joseph, our shadow of Christ, desperately wants to be reunited with His family, and He wants them safe.  So, his present-day practice really proves to be fueled by an eternity-focused attitude.  If you were to ask Joey, I’m convinced that he would have told you that he would not be content with even one family member missing from the table, even . . . “that guy”!
When we get to heaven, which names of your family and friends do you want to see written on the place cards at the great banquet table?  Between now and Sunday, let’s think about that.
I can’t wait to see you!  Invite like mad!
Your Pastor Is Praying For You . . . and is ready willing and able to run any errand you need!
Pastor Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!