Thursday, November 6, 2014

PRAY IT! Genesis 44:1-45:15

If I reflect back several years ago, when I was exploring God and whether or not I believed in Him, I recall being in my car and screaming "out-loud" in my head to the God that I thought may or may not exist "What do you want from me!?"*  I still have moments where I find myself asking the question from time-to-time.  :)

If we see an example of the character and grace of God reflected in Joseph, we see it very clearly in this week's readings. 

Three little words.

"I am Joseph" (found in Genesis 45, verse 3).

So powerful.

His brothers were so dismayed at this "big reveal" that they couldn't speak.

Five more words:  "Come near to me, please" (found in verse 4).  Scripture tells us "And they came near."

Did you feel a little speechless when you finally began to realize who God was?  When God began to whisper to you to draw near to Him, and nearer still, did you do so?  What was the result:  Best decision ever (yes!) or one you regret (not one little bit!)???

Scripture upon scripture paints a picture for us of a God who wants us to reveal Himself to us and to be close to us.  Maybe it is illustrated so many times because God knew we'd likely encounter difficulty wrapping our brains around this concept. 

What do you want from me?! 
Oh. 
You want me to know you and you want me to spend time with you...?
Cool.

John 3:16 speaks powerfully to the love God has for us.  James 4:8 encourages us to draw near to God.  The "Great Commandment" found in Matthew 22:37-38 beautifully sums up things:

And he said to them, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your mind.  This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it:  You shall love your neighbor as yourself."  Is this not drawing near to God?

As we draw near to God, and catapult ourselves into His presence with more and more fervor... as we spend time with Jesus and become more Christ-like, we, too, are going to want to introduce ourselves to others... introduce them to God... and to invest in them and draw near to them.  It requires strength and vulnerability and obedience.  But it's worth it.

As you pray today, consider the following:
1.)  Thanking God for the ways in which He has revealed Himself to you.
2.)  Thanking God for beckoning you closer and closer into His presence.
3.)  Asking God who it is in your life that you need to "introduce" yourself to and spend more quality time with.
4.)  Asking God to help you with time management, priorities, focus, etc. so that "the dream" God has placed in your heart becomes "a reality".


Dear God,
Thank you for revealing yourself to me.  Thank you for continuing to show me your character, your goodness, and your love.  Thank you for continually encouraging me to draw closer and closer to you.  Please help me to reflect the love you have for me toward others, who need me to be available to them... to be "known"... and who need me to invest in them, so that they can experience some of the great love you have for them through me.

Amen.

The PoC Prayer Service is tonight, 7pm - prayers for healing and restoration.  Pastor Todd and I would love to see you there.

Blessings,
Pastor Celia

*If anyone wanted to know how the story ended:  God has a sense of humor and as I was screaming out in my head "what do you want from me," I noticed the car in front of me had a bumper sticker that said "cry out to Jesus"... Yeah.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!